It doesn’t matter whether you’ve been looking at a movie review example for hours. If you still can’t come up with a tactic, we are here to assist. Those who want to know how to write a movie review need to start with the basics. Even if the film we are talking about is considered to be a rotten tomato, there are still ways to appreciate it and highlight some of the most important points.
To analyze a work of art that is in front of you, students need to entertain their audience. Persuading and informing them at the same time might be the trick. If you are already typing “how to write a film review” in the search field, we would like to remind you about the essence of a good text. Ideally, your analysis needs to draw the viewers in but not give away much.
Come up with an outline that will hook the fans and make them obsessed with the movie of choice. This is usually done with the help of the source material. Study the information that has been given by the teacher and
Writing a Movie Review and Ranking the Film
There are several strategies that will help you define the best method on how to write a film review. First, you need to use:
- Comparison. In case you are reviewing a movie about the current political situation, do not forget to mention the people who are involved and compare them to the characters on screen. If you draw parallels between the real world and the one that has been presented by the director, you will find out that the review becomes even more thrilling. You have to be specific, though. Make sure the audience knows what you are talking about. Otherwise, you will be forced to apply the method of repetition which is good for public speech and not essay writing.
- Smaller paragraphs. Think of a review in a nutshell. You need to give viewers a sentence that will lend them a complete understanding of the scene and set the mood. This may sound complicated, especially if the cast never gets out of the shadow of the grand, larger-than-life plot. Remember, though, that the opinion, given on the film, needs to be well-established and concise. The readers have to grasp the notion as the understanding of the characters sinks in. They should not be confused as to your true motives. If there is something about the movie that does not agree with you, do not be afraid to state your point. Students are not required to be all positive about the film that had a few weak spots. Instead, they have to convey the message through powerful, meaningful sentences.
- Context. Gathering background information about the movie is just as essential as knowing the twists and turns of the scenario. Even when you feel that descriptive parts of the review can be omitted, you should also give the audience a privilege to know what is going on. The movie experts are certain: your readers should not be guessing whether you enjoyed the film or are simply being sarcastic. Make a statement that is self-explanatory and prepare to support your point with powerful arguments. This is the reason any movie review requires an outline and a thesis. Read about the cast, the shooting process, and the directing style before diving deeper into details. Surely, you cannot retell the movie from the director’s perspective since you are not privy to all the secrets of cinematography. However, you can make a difference by letting the audience know your rating.
- Notes. Taking notes while watching the movie may not be something that every viewer would do, but it actually helps a lot when you need to render the meaning of the film. Although this may sound like a stereotypical tip, you might find that it comes in handy whenever you want to render the message to the crowd. Also, going over the notes will help structure the review and follow a pattern that will make it an example for learners out there. The deal is simple: the text does not seem that convincing unless you have something to back it up with. In this case, we are talking about gripping facts, statistics, and the critic’s choice. Even if the film occupies its honorable place on the Rotten Tomatoes list, you still have to give it credit.
- Details. Point out the advantages of the movie as well as its drawbacks. For instance, the Jurassic World’s release caused a number of questions both from the scientific point of view and the fans’ camp. The main heroes traipsing through the artificially built forest, teeming with prehistoric creatures, could be a hit. However, the film seems to fall into the trap of specific clichés and unrealistic scenes as the plot unravels. The relatable characters are there, but being chased by the dinosaur does not give you the kind of adrenaline that is usually expected from an action-packed movie. You have to find an objective reason to call the film a summer blockbuster. Also, state your opinion about the entire reboot of the genre. Make a move to turn the review into something bigger than the analysis of the highlights. There are films that do not have an entertaining plot, to begin with. However, the static content of the movie can be compensated by an excellent cast, the setting, and the atmosphere. This is what should be taken into account while writing. You have to convince the viewers what they will gain as they start watching.
- Tone. Make sure that you have paid attention to detail. For example, the color scheme of the movie, the slow burn, and the protagonists all add up to the general picture. The excitement that is caused by a certain scene can be transferred to the viewers on paper. All you have to do is render the spark that the movie is transmitting. Most of the reviews contain hints to the author’s opinion. However, it is not recommended to play with the audience.
They should immediately understand the reasons why the plot is so good. Otherwise, you risk falling into the trap of popular tropes. Moreover, defining the genre of the movie is another great way to establish a connection with the viewers and find out what they really like. Each review is a work of art if well-written and carefully organized. Though you may dismiss the definition of structure when it comes to entertainment pieces, they mean a lot to the fans that are reading your text.